Most Common Types of Concrete Slabs
Various types of concrete slabs is used in construction. Listed below are the most general ones used in the construction of residential and commercial buildings. For your convenience, we listed the purpose of each slab to give you an insight into how it is used.
Conventional slabs are usually supported with beams and columns, or on walls. The load is transferred to the supporting structural element. It is classified into two types according to their geometry.
- One Way Slab: Supported only on two opposite sides only. It carries and transfers the load in one direction.
- Two Way Slab: Slabs that are supported on beams on all four sides. It carries and transfers load in both directions.
This slab resembles a waffle – it has square grids with deep sides. This kind of slab can support a greater load than conventional slabs.
Composite slabs are constructed as reinforced concrete cast on top of steel decking that acts as formwork and working area during construction
This type of slabs are directly supported by columns or caps – without using beams. Flat slab is easy to construct and requires little formwork compared to conventional concrete slabs.
Are You Considering Concrete Slabs?
There are factors to consider if you’re going to get concrete slabs. It is best to consult an expert to know whether concrete slabs will work for you or not. Below are some pros and cons of concrete slab foundation.
- It takes less time to dry
- Protects your home from pests or termites
- Minimises risk of damage from flooding or leaking of gas
- Has a wide range of flooring options
- It doesn’t take long to construct it
- Low maintenance
- Prone to slab cracks
- No space under the house for HVAC systems
- Expensive repairs
- Lower resale value for your property
- Some people may find it unattractive
Need Professional Advice?
We offer the highest quality of concrete services throughout Ipswich. If you are interested in having concrete slabs for your building, get in touch with us!
No matter how big or small the project is, we will deliver on time. Our priority is our customer’s satisfaction.